Monday, February 3, 2014

Orchid of the day: Potinara Memoria Shirley Moore Mendenhall

Arne told me that this orchid is complex. "You won't believe the name," he said. He was right.  I have never heard of Potinara as an orchid name before. Potinara, abbreviated to Pot. is a complex hybrid orchid where the parental orchids come from the genera Brassavola, Cattleya, Laelia and Sophronitis

This photo was taken in mid September 2009. The plant is still growing well and I will be sure take more photos of the flowers this Summer. This orchid was named after the well known Knoxville orchid grower, Shirley Moore. 

The care of this orchid is similar to Cattleya.

Going through the internet, I found other Potinara with the name Memoria Shirley Moore. The one that we have is Mendenhall and the other one I found is Pot. Memoria Shirley Moore Newberry (look it up online). 

No comments:

Post a Comment