Saturday, February 8, 2014

Orchid of the day: Laeliocattleya Love knot

Laeliocattleya Love Knot is a cross between Laelia sincorana x Cattleya walkeriana (abbreviated Lc. Love Knot). The orchid is very compact with 4 large lavender flowers. Lc. Love Knot has received an award merit from the Japan Orchid Growers Association.

These photos were taken in February 2013. Very soon it will be blooming again! I used flash for this picture and you can see have vibrant the lavender shade is on the flowers.

Interestingly, as I researched the web, Laeliocattleya Love Knot might NOT be called that anymore! In the link below,  the new name for this orchid is Cattleya Love Knot. Not only is culturing orchids tricky, naming them is also very complicated. Oh and by the way, Arne doesn't think the word 'tricky' is appropriate. "I should say culturing orchids is different from regular plants". And with that, I have expressed Arne's opinion.

The flowering period for this orchid is Winter, well these photos were taken in late February 2013. I hope to get new photos this year to share them with you all. This orchid also emits a strong fragrance. I must say I am quite sensitive to floral fragrance, I am grateful that Arne puts them in his orchidarium in the basement instead of our study. They are beautiful though!

No comments:

Post a Comment