Thursday, February 20, 2014

Caring for his orchids at home

Today I'm just showing you how much Arne works to keep his orchid hobby going. 

 Here's some photos of his orchidarium in our basement. He has two and both with their own timers for lights. Anthony likes to keep him company because it is quite cool in there.


              
Orchidariums up close. Arne has them in the corner of the basement right next to the electrical outlet. We hope to expand the tool bench and buy another orchidarium. This blog is encouraging him to buy more orchids. I guess I'm partly to blame!


Arne uses my upstairs bathroom to water his orchids, those he hangs in our study window. 

He waters them like this. He makes sure the water runs out and he allows the remaining water to drip off before hanging the orchid back.






Yes, this is how it has been living with Arne and his orchid collection. He just bought another Cochlioda rosea and it came yesterday. I will keep you posted when it starts to bloom. I am actually excited because many of his orchids are budding already! I have taken pictures of those budding orchids and waiting for them to bloom. There will be more beautiful posts to come!



3 comments:

  1. Albeit being a pretty display, having the Cochlioda rosea mounted wasn't the best idea. Cochlioda likes it cool and humid and the mount makes it dry out too quickly. But I cannot give this beautiful orchid up so when I found nicely grown plants of Cochlioda rosea at Orchids Limited I had to buy another one.
    / Arne

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did your husband buy that little white greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arne bought it from Orchids Limited but they don't sell it anymore. The model is called Maui. I have included the link here. https://www.orchidweb.com/
    Contact them via e-mail or even call them. They still sell the lamps for the orchidarium as far as I can see. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete