Sunday, December 13, 2020

Orchid of the day: Cychnoches warscewiczii

Cychnoches warscewiczii


This is my third post about our Cychnoches warscewiczii, my first post was on December 3, 2017, and the second was on November 21, 2019. This particular upside down (non-resupinate) orchid has three male flowers right now. I find these flowers totally interesting. This orchid is a native of Columbia, which loves lots of water and sun during its growing season. These scented flowers have been blooming for three weeks now.


(A) Out in the sunlight.


B) The column is long, curved, and thin. It bears the pollinia prominently at the tip. That is the reason why this orchid is also called the 'swan orchid'.


C) View from the top of the upside down lip.


(D) Circled in red are secretion of sweet nectar between the nodes on the flower stem.


(E) Each flower has a natural spread of more than 4 inches.

I sincerely hope you enjoyed these flowers as I have. Today, the flowers are showing signs of wilting. Until my next post, take care!

Khairul Bariah

No comments:

Post a Comment