Sunday, July 30, 2017

Orchid of the day: Aerides houlletiana

Aerides houlletiana


Here is our orchid from South East Asia, Aerides houlletiana, which emits a lemon grass-like fragrance. I really love this orchid as it reminds me of the wild orchids back in Malaysia. Arne purchased this orchid at the Maryland Orchid Exhibition in March 2014. Since then, it has grown gradually into a healthy specimen. This year we have twenty four flowers.
A) Signs of future flowers, June 11th, 2017.

It always surprises me to see how the roots are all up in the air! In (A), the flower buds were developing in one single stem. The close up of the inflorescence is seemed in (B). I posted about our A. houlletiana in details, June 29, 2014 and then again on July 4, 2016.

B) Close up of the flower buds.

C) June 25th,  Aerides houlletiana out in the sun.

D) Flowers opening by July 4th.

E) All flowers in bloom by July 11th.

F) The blooms up close.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at our beautiful vandaceous air-loving orchid, Aerides houlletiana. Until my next post, have a good week everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment