Monday, July 4, 2016

Orchid of the day: Aerides houlletiana

Aerides houlletiana


I posted about our Aerides houlletiana in June of 2014. We purchased it in March 2014 and were very fortunate that this orchid produced twenty flowers that same year. But last year, despite growing double in size, this orchid didn't produce any flowering stems. It clearly was working on its on schedule. And this year, it produced twenty five flowers. Above is the close up of all the flowers. Each flower exuding the sweet fragrant of lemon grass.

A) June 24th, 2016. The entire plant chilling outside, enjoying the warm Baltimore summer weather.

B) The flower buds before opening up.

C) I find all orchid roots very fascinating as they thrive being above ground. Aerides houlletiana is an extreme case of air loving orchid.

D) Our orchid in full bloom today.

E) Enjoying and hanging outside our backyard.

I hope you all find this post fascinating as I have. This is one of my favourite orchid as it came from my old part of the world, Malaysia. A beautiful vandaceous air-loving orchid, Aerides houlletiana.




No comments:

Post a Comment