Saturday, September 13, 2014

Orchid of the day: Cattleya Newberry Radiance

Cattleya Newberry Radiance

Today will be a nice and short post. I took these photos in July and waited to post them because I had a few interesting orchids to talk about. Many were flowering at the same time. It was difficult to select which one to post about. Sadly, I missed out the early flowering stages of this orchid. But I hope I made up for my mistake by posting these nice photos with my old camera. I hope you will enjoy.


A) July 9th. Three flowers developed this year.

Arne bought this orchid in 2006 from a known orchid growing company. This orchid is registered and originated by this company in 9/8/2005. The seed parent is Cattleya Mini Purple, the pollen parent is Cattleya Spicey Hot. Interesting names. If you are interested, I did post about our Cattleya Mini Purple in my earlier post in February 13th.


B) The leaves are thick and waxy. Some of the roots were sticking out of the growth medium in the pot.

This orchid was previously known as Sophrolaeliacattleya Newberry Radiance because Cattleya Mini Purple was known as Laeliocattleya Mini Purple and Cattleya Spicey Hot was known as Sophrolaeliacattleya Spicey Hot.


C) Up close, I noticed some dark purple spots on the petals. There's a tinge of orange in the center.

D) This photo was taken in 2013. We had two flowers then but just as beautiful.


Well, I hope you liked the photos. I have one orchid coming up. No blooms yet but will keep you 'posted' soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment