Monday, August 11, 2014

Orchid of the day: Rhynchovola Jimminey Cricket

Rhynchovola Jimminey Cricket

Rhynchovola Jimminey Cricket (synonym is Brassavola Jimminey Cricket) is a primary hybrid. A cross between Rhycholaelia digbyana (syn. Brassavola digbyana) and Brassavola nodosa (Lady of the Night). The flower emits a strong fragrant especially later in the evening.


A) July 21st. This orchid was kept in the orchidarium.

B) Taken outside of the orchidarium to be photographed away from the other orchids. It can be quite cramped in there!

C) Up close of the bloom. Apparently this year, the flowers didn't open up as much as they did the year before. It is time to expand our orchid space in the basement I think!

We have many orchids that were flowering at about the same time and I missed out in chronically the development of this particular orchid. Next thing you know they are flowering and by the time I'm posting this, the flowers are all gone. But do enjoy the photos. I am looking forward to posting more photos later since I managed to get a new camera a few days ago! Until then, ENJOY!

D) Two beautiful flowers for this Summer.




3 comments:

  1. One of the parents is Rhyncholaelia digbyana, better known as Brassavola digbyana. Brassavola digbyana is one of the most spectacular orchids on the planet, supposedly. The flower is 15 -20 cm across (divide by 2.54 and you get it in inches, which should be something between 6 and 8). We have that one also since May of this year but it hasn't flowered yet. The flower is greenish white with a center petal, called the lip, that is extremely frilly. To that comes a very pleasant fragrance. I have only seen pictures of this flower so what ever I have been told is either right or wrong. I just want to get it to flower so I can get my own opinion. It grows extremely slowly and it needs a lot of light before it produces one single flower. I'll keep you posted. / Arne Schon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am a novice orchid gardener. I recently bought a Digbyanna orchid. The guy mentioned that it was called the Queen orchid or the mother of all orchids. I as just wondering if you would know why it's called the mother of orchids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous (would be nice to know your name)!

    In any case, I got Arne to answer your question. See his comments below. I hope it will help.

    'Rhyncholaelia digbyana was once known as Brassavola digbyana. It has large flowers with a nice fragrance but it was its extremely large and fringed lip that made it the parent to a huge number of large-flowered Cattleya orchids with a very pronounced curly lip (only a few progenies inherited its deeply fringed lip, unfortunately). These so-called corsage orchids with a large curly lip are still referred to as Brassocattleyas (Bc) and Brassolaeliocattleyas (Blc), where “Brasso” originates from the famous parent, once called Brassavola digbyana. No one has ever told me that Rhyncolaelia digbyana is the queen orchid or mother of orchids, but its importance as a parent to all these famous large-flowered Cattleya orchids can very well be the reason why many people think of it as the mother of Cattleyas.
    Arne'

    ReplyDelete