Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Orchid of the day: Tolumnia Golden Sunset


It has been awhile since I posted. I apologize for my delay. Lots of things and have been going on plus the weather in Baltimore has been quite challenging. Winter has been around too long and today it was below freezing again. Let's hope Spring will turn up soon! Back to orchids. 



Today I'm highlighting Tolumnia Golden Sunset. These photos were taken in February 2010. I found this orchid very similar to Oncidium, one of those few orchids I recognized from my childhood. Well, I found out that they are called Equitant Oncidium. But now they are removed from the Oncidium genera to be called Tolumnia. Read more about this in the American Orchid Society webpage.


This orchid was found originally in the West Indies. A serious orchid grower and breeder in the early 1950s, W.W. Goodale Moir of Hawaii, pioneered Tolumnia breeding when he started to collect this orchid on his business trips to the West Indies. Arne is not sure which clone of the Tolumnia Golden Sunset he has. I'm sure he will buy more of this orchid after this posting!

Tolumnia Golden Sunset up close. Arne said this orchid should be mounted otherwise they rot easily in a pot. Special care is needed if you insist on cultivating this orchid in a pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment