Saturday, November 26, 2016

Orchid of the day: Brassavola Little Stars

Brassavola Little Stars




A little story below about our orchid today, Brassavola Little Stars by Arne.

Brassavola Little Stars is a primary hybrid between B. nodosa and B. subulifolia (the latter parent was earlier known as B. cordata).  Believe it or not, I found this plant at Lowe’s hardware store some 5-6 years ago.  It was in a plastic pot and I transferred it to a clay pot where I kept it for some years.  That was a bad idea.  Finally, I cut the plant into three parts.  I actually trashed most of it and I mounted the two most healthy parts.  This is what mounting can do for a true epiphyte.  It grows well, every new shoot blooms, and the plant presents its flowers as a nice display.  My advice to anyone interested in orchids is to mount orchids that are truly epiphytic.  Water them every day or when you remember.  The vast majority will not die if you accidentally water them too much and the vast majority are very forgiving if you forget to water them for weeks.  To have epiphytic orchids mounted is the way to go.
A) November 6. About seven buds popping out.

B) Buds up close.

C) The day after Thanksgiving. There is still one bud waiting to open.

D) Beautiful white flowers. A pleasant citrus fragrant.

E) Beauty in the Fall sun.

F) A final close up for this post.

This concludes today's post. Until my next post, Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment