Saturday, January 2, 2016

Orchid of the day: Laelonia Dave's Dapper Dandee

Laelonia Dave's Dapper Dandee


Our Laelonia Dave's Dapper Dandee has seven flowers this year. The seventh bud is still waiting to open but I figured, it is so beautiful and I wanted my first post for 2016 to be this orchid.
This orchid is a primary hybrid between Broughtonia negrilensis x Laelia crawshayana. The name is registered to Joseph Francis, a well known orchid grower living in Herndon, Virginia. See previous posts, November 10th  & December 15th, 2014.


A) On November 8th, the weather was warm and we could captured a photo outdoors of the extending flower stem


B) By November 29th, the flower stem kept elongating but a sure sign of buds were appearing.

C) Developing buds on November 29th.

D) December 20th. Seven buds are coming!

E) Up close.

F) January 2nd 2016. In full glory but still one more flower to open! The length of the stem is more than 60 cm (~2 feet).

G) Beautiful blooms if I say so myself.


H) Angle from below. The weather was cooperating.

Well folks, this is the first post of 2016. I hope you like it! Happy New Year. 

The year of the Monkey, my year!














No comments:

Post a Comment