Sunday, July 19, 2015

Orchid of the day: Schoenorchis fragrans

Anthony with Schoenorchis fragrans



A) Schoenorchis fragrans zoomed in July 19th, 2015.


Well, for today's tiny yet beautiful orchid, I let Arne write about the Schoenorchis fragrans. Enjoy the photos and our very sweet model, Anthony. Always assisting with giving the size perspective of our many orchids. He, as always, is very willing.


B) June 18th. Very small flower buds were observed. It is tiny!

B) In the palm of Arne's hand.

C) Well, almost in the 'palm'of Anthony's paw.

"Schoenorchis fragrans is the smallest orchid I have.  I had seen pictures of it and it seemed to be one of those utterly small orchids that still put on a marvelous show of colors when it bloomed.  One day I found a good vendor of orchid species in Montana that offered this orchid so I bought one from them.   In short, this is one of my newest additions to my collection.  It is so new that I don’t even want to take credit for its blossoms because it arrived with two tiny developing flower stems.  I wouldn’t even have seen them if the vendor hadn’t pointed it out.

In the March edition of this year’s AOS orchid bulletin, Thomas Mirenda gives a good introduction to Schoenorchis and the variety within the genus.  In fact, I bought the plant because of his article.  While all of the species within the genus have quite tiny flowers, some are quite large plants with pendulous leaves; others are very small plants with extremely small flowers.  According to me, Schoenorchis fragrans belongs to the cutest group characterized by a miniature fan of fleshy leaves and bunches of flowers that are very colorful and considerably large for the plant.  The name implies fragrance.  I’m still trying to feel the fragrance but it must be very subtle.  Well, no one is perfect! Schoenorchis needs a lot of light and not too much water.  This plant should be in every orchid collection." By Arne.


D) Notice the buds right in the center? About twelve at this time.

E) By July 5th, the flowers were turning light purple in color.

F) At this angle there may even be fourteen flowers.

G) July 19th, all flowers are opened with a mild fragrance.



Simply beautiful miniature orchid blooms with a tinge of bright yellow in the center of each flower.














No comments:

Post a Comment