Sunday, June 22, 2014

Orchid of the day: Neofinetia falcata

For such a small and petite orchid, Neofinetia falcata has a fascinating story to tell. This is what I have gathered and summarized so far. It is indeed an interesting story worth further reading for those intererested.

Neofinetia falcata

Neofinetia falcata is native to China, Korea and Japan. Also called the Samurai orchid because Shogun Tokugawa Ienari, of Japan, fell in love with this orchid. This is the first orchid to be cultivated in-house in Japan and treated very much like bonsai, admired not only for the flowers, but also for the composition of the foliage and the overall shape of the plant. The Japanese name for Neofinetia is Fukiran, the rich and noble orchid because it was adored by the rich and noble class. The popularity of Neofinetia cultivation in Japan goes back to the Edo period, 400 years ago. However there was a brief decline in popularity after the Meiji restoration period in 1870s. The reason being the introduction of bigger, more colorful and more exotic tropical orchids by the Westerners. Fortunately with the establishment of the All Japanese Fukiran Society in 1920, the popularity and survival of this orchid continues to thrive not only in Japan but has expanded around the world.

A) May 18th 2014. A flower stalk appears.

Neofinetia falcata generally flowers in June to July and emits a very sweet candy-like fragrant. It is strongest at dusk and dawn. In our hands, we noticed a flower stalk emerging by mid May this year. Arne bought this orchid online in February 2013. It came as an extremely small seedling in a pot with stones! He then re-potted the Neofinetia falcata in sphagum moss, according to the traditional Japanese-style. Giving it a very bonsai-like look, I would say.

B) A close up of the stalk with developing buds.

C) June 7th, three clear flowers developed with the spurs at the ends.

D) Four flowers bloomed on June 14th.

E) June 15th. Trying another background to clearly show the 4 blooms.

F) Finally I got the money shot! A clear definition of individual orchids up close on June 21st 2014.

G) The entire pot. We keep this orchid in our orchidarium.

H) My Anthony (~77 lb, English Shepherd mix), giving the size perspective of this petite, bonsai-like orchid in real life.

Another fun fact, we were fortunate enough to visit Japan a few years ago and stayed at a mountain resort in Hakone, near the Mount Fuji area. This hotel has been around since the Edo period and we found out that this resort was a favorite of the late Shogun Tokugawa's wife. The actual room we stayed in was her favorite room. Coincidental? Perhaps!

5 comments:

  1. Great info Khairul and your writing is making me want to try an orchid. What would be an easy beginners orchid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest Tina. Well, have a look at the orchids I have featured in the blog. What kind of orchid catches your fancy? We can go from there and give you more tips and advice on which one you can start with. Think outside the box is what I usually say about growing orchids.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karole. My name's Antonio Franco, from Spain. I'm an novice amateur grower and I've just read your post about Neofinetia falcata. I would like to know if you have any bibliography about the relationship between Samurais and the orchid Neofinetia falcata because I'm traying to write about this for a new spanish magazine. My email address is Franko_lorca@hotmail.com.
    Thank you so much for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Antonio. Happy to hear from you. Unfortunately, all the information I have, I obtained from the web. I found a few websites that I think would be helpful for you (see below). There was a very good article in the bulletin of the American Orchid society in August 2012. This article informed me about the Neofinetia falcata being the samurai orchids. I'm not sure if you have to be a member to get access to the article or not. Apparently, most of the articles are in Japanese! I hope I helped a little bit. Search for "FUKIRAN SOCIETY", that would be my best guess. You are welcome to write again. I will continue to search and if I have more info, I will e-mail you again. Good luck.

    The American Fukiran Society: http://fukiransoa.weebly.com/

    Seed Engei: http://www.seed-engei.com/

    Fukiran Neofinetia Flora Peculia (Canada): www.florapeculia.ca

    http://www.orchidspecies.com/neofinetiafalcata.htm

    The article in the AOS bulletin is: 'Neofinetia falcata and its hybrids. Cultivating an Asian beauty in its many forms.' Text and photographs by Peter T. Lin. ORCHIDS. Vol 81. No.8 August 2012. pages 468.

    ReplyDelete