Saturday, January 9, 2021

Orchid of the day: Phalaenopsis lindenii

Phalaenopsis lindenii

 

Our Phalaenopsis lindenii is almost ten years old now. This native of the island of Luzon in the Philippines, is in the endangered list due to deforestation. Arne has been very satisfied with how this orchid has grown under his care. This is my 6th post about our Phalaenopsis lindenii.

In my two earlier posts, September 8, 2014, and September 20, 2015, there is a healthy looking fern that had attached itself to the top of the cork bark. I thought it looked lovely but Arne didn't think this was such a good idea. You see, the spores from this fern would spread and will settle on our other orchids. It may look lovely, but we don't want it to be a parasitic infestation. Arne had worked really hard over the last couple of years, and he had succeeded in removing the fern from this bark.

(A) In 2016 with fern still attached to the cork bark.


(B) A closer view of our Phalaenopsis lindenii in August 2020.


(C) Six opened flowers and seven buds.


(D) A delicate flower with yellow ochre speckles in the center of the lip. 


(E) Although the flowers are always appreciated, I find the varigated pattern on the leaves very beautiful.


(F) As of January 5, 2021, the stem has carried 21 flowers since August this year including the very last flower.


Amazingly, this orchid still has that very last flower!
Until my next post, please take care.

Khairul Bariah


1 comment:

  1. That is so lovely, I hope my young plant will flower for me one day.

    Keep safe too

    ReplyDelete