Sunday, April 5, 2020

Orchid of the day: Vanda barnesii

Vanda barnesii


My first post about our Vanda barnesii was on May 20th 2019. Arne obtained the seedling from Carson Barnes in 2015. This cool grower comes from the higher elevations in the Philippines. This year our orchid produced two flower spikes, with five flowers in totally. These flowers developed at least one month earlier than last year. In fact, Arne noticed most of his Vandas were flowering earlier than usual.

I guess Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog was correct about an early Spring after all. For those unfamiliar, I recommend you read up on "Groundhog Day" or the movie with Bill Murray with the same name. It's a long story but it a popular observance in many parts of the States, where a groundhog will appear and predicts whether Spring will come early or not! All in fun, of course.


A) Crisp white flowers enjoying the sun.


B) I find these flowers very symmetrical and rounded in shape.


C) Individual bloom up close.


D) All five flowers are still in full bloom today.

I hope you enjoyed these photos. In real life, these flowers so white and bright. I wish you all can see it. Until my next post, have a great week and stay safe.







No comments:

Post a Comment