Sunday, January 26, 2014

My husband, Arne Schon, and his expanding orchid hobby.

Arne's orchid hobby has gotten bigger each day. I grew up in Malaysia and was very used to orchids everywhere. Never did I think this Swedish guy is a real enthusiast and wanted to cultivate the rarest he could find! It can be an expensive hobby but we managed to cultivate this hobby on a thrifty budget and I must say the blooms are gorgeous and even I, a girl from the equator is impressed by Arne's efforts. He does drive me crazy but after 24 years, I'm getting use to it. Here are some pictures to share.

Arne hangs his orchids indoor in our studies during the cold season. As you can see the orchids are facing the sun. I bought curtain rods (notice, no curtain right?) for him to hang those plants. It is fascinating how they survive without soil, right? Amazing epiphytes aren't they.

This orchid is called Broughtonia sanguinea, see how the roots are simply wrapping around the tree bark. The bark is from a cork oak tree. Broughtonia sanguinea flowers in the Summer. I'll post the blooms later in the year. 

This orchid was in bloom Feb/March 2013. The flower buds are emerging now Jan 26 2014. Her name is Leptotes bicolor (I like to her).
A close up of Leptotes bicolor. Notice the two colors; white and the soft pink/purple shade within each bloom. We are waiting for the next round of blooms. When the weather is warm, Arne would hang the orchids outside. Reminds me of home in Malaysia.

Laelia sincorana, from the Sincora Plateau in Brasil (that's what Arne told me, you can check the web). A very small orchid and boy, was he excited when it flowered. He loves his rare orchids. Arne orders his orchids from the web, many different sites. Some are better than others.

6 comments:

  1. I am very interested in the plant broughtonia sanguine alba karin. This month is the second time I have seen the plant on your web site. I have researched the entire web, have not been able to find this plant. Is it possible that you can give me the person or nursery you purchased it from. If not could I purchase a back bulb section from your plant, or possibly trade for one of my albas. Mike king 352-408-3294 mhk232@aol.com. would appreciate an answer one way or the other, the plant has been haunting me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      I guess my reply is a bit disappointing. The nursery that sold it to me doesn't have it currently. If they had it I would let you know by phone or e-mail. To my knowledge you can currently only buy the plant from the main collector and hybridizer in Jamaica. My own plant needs to get much bigger before I can divide it. Sorry.
      Arne

      Delete
  2. could you tell me if you named the clone karin and if the jamaica grower is claud hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Arne can answer the second half of your question. But I recommend you read my post on July 13, 2014. He named this particular clone after his mother.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike,
    Yes as my wife mentioned, I named this clone after my mother. Maybe you know that when you take an orchid for judging by the AOS you also have to provide a clonal name. And yes, the Jamaican grower is Claude Hamilton.
    Arne

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you I think we both received our alba from Claud Hamilton. That solves the mystery for me.
    Thanks
    Mikw King

    ReplyDelete